Involve children in cooking and tasting porridge, oatcakes, haggis, neeps and tatties, Scotch broth, dumpling or shortbread.
Play a selection of different types of Scottish music and encourage children to respond to mood and rhythm.
To celebrate Scottish culture, Jamestown Early Education and Childcare Centre in West Dunbartonshire arranged for a piper to pipe the children into nursery as they arrived for their nursery session. Dancers from Jamestown Primary School then entertained the children at the nursery while the children joined in the dancing and had great fun.
Allow the children to design their own tartan:
- Use model car wheels, dipped in paint and rolled across paper in top-to-bottom and side-to-side movements.
- Drip thin paint down a sheet of paper, then turn the paper at right angles and drip again.
Heriot Primary School Nursery Class in Paisley, Renfrewshire, is combining various elements of the curriculum in its Burns events. The children have been learning simple Scottish poems and songs as well as performing a sound picture of the Tam o' Shanter story for an audience of parents, carers and Primary 1 and 2 children and staff of Heriot Primary. Other activities currently being undertaken include paper weaving, transient art in Scottish colours, food tasting and lots of storytelling.
Children at Parkhead Primary Nursery Class (West Lothian) designed tartan and made their own 'kilts' for St Andrew's Day, an activity which could be used for other celebrations with a Scottish theme.Word file: Arts and crafts ideas: making a 'kilt' (288 KB)
Sing songs like 'Ali, Bally Bee', 'Three Craws' and 'Ye cannae shuv your grannie aff a bus' with children. Useful websites and resources include:
- Mama Lisa's World: Scottish children's songs
- Kist o' Dreams: Bairn's Kist - a resource CD to help parents and practitioners share Scottish singing games, action songs and lullabies with young children.
- Electric Scotland: Works of Burns
- Animal ABC: An introduction to the alphabet in Scots.
- Scuil Wab: Infant songs - recordings of four traditional children's songs.
- Electric Scotland: Children's poems - children's poems with audio files.
Burns Day and Scottish Culture
This case study describes how nursery staff used Robert Burns's birthday to widen children's understanding of Scottish culture.