Access your child's record

Planning together

Since 2004, parents have had the right to see their child's educational record. You won’t have to pay to read the record, but there may be a small fee if you'd like to keep a copy.

How to see your child's record

First of all, you need to write to the body responsible for the records. For local authority schools (the vast majority of schools in Scotland), that means writing to your local education authority. If your child goes to an independent school, write to the proprietor. For grant-aided schools, write to the managers.

Can I get the records in another language or form?

When making your request to see your child's record, you can ask that the information is supplied in an alternative language or form. This will be supplied as long as the responsible body feels that your request is reasonable.

Checks and sensitive information

The body will probably want to make sure that you are a parent. The body may also choose to hold back some of the information in the record. This could include any parts of the record dealing with sensitive personal data, or where disclosing the information would be likely to cause significant distress or harm to the pupil or any other person.

About the regulations

Your rights to access your child's educational records are covered by The Pupils' Educational Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003.

How do these regulations define a 'parent'?

The definition used in the regulation is a broad one. It includes a guardian, someone who is liable to maintain or with parental responsibilities, or someone who has care of the child or young person, such as another relative or foster parent.

Do I have to apply in writing?

No, as long as the responsible body can record and refer back to your request. For example, you could make your request by video, audio tape or Braille.

What if the records appear to be inaccurate?

If you feel that any of the information held in educational records is inaccurate, you can request for it to be changed. You will need to specify what information you feel is inaccurate and how it should be changed or erased. If the responsible body is satisfied that the information is inaccurate, they will change it. If they think the information is already correct, they will notify you with reasons for their decision.

What if the responsible body doesn't meet their obligations?

If you're not satisifed, use the responsible body's normal complaint procedures. If there's been a clear breach of duty by a body, you can refer the matter to Scottish Ministers. Ministers have discretionary power to take action and make sure the body meets its obligations.

How long are educational records kept for?

The responsible body needs to keep educational records relating to a pupil for five years after they have finished school education.

Other websites

  • The Pupils Educational Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003

    Information on the requirement for bodies responsible for schools to give a parent access to records relating to school pupils, past and present.

  • Reporting to parents

    Guidance and advice for teachers and other practitioners on reporting to parents within Curriculum for Excellence, including information on reporting on progress within a level.